Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Break-Fast at Sesame...

As many of you know I've been working at Sesame Workshop, better known for it's educational media shows such as Sesame Street, for over 5 years now. In my time here, I've had the pleasure of meeting many brothers and sisters in Christ from all walks of life. At the same token, I'm saddened that although they profess to be part of the family of Christ, I fear their lifestyle's do not reflect as such.

As we've been going through "The Walk" study during Bible Study, the idea of reaching out to these brothers and sisters of mine is becoming more and more evident in my heart but it's hard to think where to start..who to reach out to first...how to reach out. Especially with my position at work, I'm quite restrained in my interactions with my co-workers. So I'm praying God will give me wisdom and guidance so that I may be used for his Kingdom!


On another note, there is a weekly devotional we pass around at work for our break-fast group (we fast on Wednesdays and break it right before lunch time. Hence break-fast). I wanted to share this week's devotional because I thought it really hit home with what we've talking about the past few weeks. Hope everyone has a blessed week!

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...
— 1 Peter 3:15

Thoughts on Today's Verse...

Having Jesus as our Lord does not mean that we bulldoze over others with this important eternal reality. Gentleness and respect are the character traits of those who have Jesus as their Lord. After all, Jesus loved others enough to die for them. Jesus even asked for those who crucified him and those who mocked him as he died to be forgiven. Having such a Lord means we have prepared a response when we are given an opportunity to share the basis of our hope in him. Those around us may not appear interested, but many are seeking for something they have not yet identified. Let's be ready when their time is right to meet Jesus!

My Prayer...(thought this was very fitting)

Holy and gracious God, please give me wisdom to see the opportunities to share the love of Jesus with those around me. I ask you to especially help me be able to share Jesus with several of my friends that I now mention by name ... Father, please give me the gentleness to do this with redemption, showing them the same respect Jesus did to those to whom he ministered. In the name of the Savior, your Son Jesus, I pray. Amen.

"Whatever happens, my dear brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord. I never get tired of telling you these things, and I do it to safeguard your faith" - Philippians 3:1

3 comments:

  1. yay for blogspot! :)

    i think its way cool ur employed w/ Sesame St.~ how did that ever happen? have u met big bird? or the cookie monster???
    lol, if u ever need an extra~ let me kno ;)

    ne how,
    yea, i've met Mr. Walton couple of times, do his thing @ Baruch Live and w NYCUP~ passionate guy =)

    well, i hope u guys have an awesome week~ stay blessed and prayd up~ c u soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the blog, Sara.

    It is difficult to be "salty" in this world and yet be gentle.

    It's great that you're thinking about these things. I hope God gives you the wisdom and courage to share Jesus with your colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that when a person professes to be a "Christian" and their lives profess otherwise, it redefines the definition of being Christian. I have in the job atmosphere seen the depleted understanding and illiteracy of the Bible. Because of this, my co workers have ventured into other forms of spirituality.

    I too am saddened when I see this. May our Lord and Savior help and guide us to speak life to those we work with, that as the world was once "dark and without form..." and God spoke and life was birthed, so too through Him may we see new life in them. God bless you guys!

    ReplyDelete